The Wind Data Logger is one of APRS World's original products and is by far our most popular. Our website is chocked full of technical information about this product, it's many package options, and available accessories. The menu on the left will direct you to the information you need.
Wind Data Logger Pricing Quick Links:
|Packages for Indoor Installations||Solar Powered Self‑Contained||AC Powered Self‑Contained|
The Wind Data Logger is offered in a variety of packages and can be installed indoors or outdoors. The links above provide pricing information for the available package options. All of these options are built around the same Wind Data Logger module, which is described in detail below.
The Wind Data Logger is designed to provide an affordable and easy-to-use solution for wind site evaluation and wind generator performance. It easily supports both simple and complex monitoring applications. The Wind Data Logger records wind speed, gust, and direction, as well as the time and date, temperature, battery voltage, and other important wind parameters. Capable of recording wind speed from up to three anemometers, it is ideal for more complex studies involving multiple wind speed instruments and other sensors.
Recording directly to a Secure Digital (SD™) card provides convenient data downloads and stores many months of data at 30 second intervals and years of data at longer logging intervals, resulting in fewer trips to retrieve data from the Wind Data Logger. For your convenience, a new file is created and saved to the card each day. Important: The Wind Data Logger is compatible with SD cards up to 2GB. It will not work with Secure Digital High Capacity (SDHC) cards. We highly recommend purchasing additional or replacement SD cards directly from us as all SD cards we sell have been tested and are guaranteed to work in the Wind Data Logger.
Using the recorded data is simple. The SD™ card is inserted into a card reader attached to the USB port on your computer (Windows, Macintosh, and Linux) and will then show up as a drive. To view and graph the data, click on the spreadsheet corresponding to the day of interest. Microsoft Excel, OpenOffice.org, or practically any spreadsheet program can be used to view, graph, and analyze your wind data.
What It Does:
The Wind Data Logger collects data from wind sensors, weather sensors, analog inputs, and system parameters including:
- Three anemometers (wind speed, gust, pulse count)
- Compatible with pulse output anemometers such as APRS World's, Davis Instruments, or NRG's #40H. Additional amplifier board required for compatibility with AC output anemometers such as NRG's #40C.
- Wind vane (wind direction)
- Works with wind vanes from APRS World, NRG Systems, and Davis Instruments.
- Thermometer (temperature)
- Four 0-5 VDC analog voltage
- Real time clock
- Input DC voltage
- Many optional sensors available: voltage, current, temperature, relative humidity, rain fall, light intensity, kWh (energy) and others
- Adjustable logging interval: The logging interval is adjustable from 10 to 60,000 seconds (16.6 hours) in one-second increments. For most applications, a 60 second interval is ideal.
- Sensors and Mounting: The wind sensors can be located hundreds of feet away from the Wind Data Logger. APRS World, LLC has a complete line of sensors and mounting solutions. The Wind Data Logger is compatible with almost any type of anemometer including those from NRG Systems and Davis Instruments.
- Display: A 16-character x 2 line backlit LCD screen displays current information and is used for configuring the data logger. A simple menu-driven interface using the LCD and three front panel buttons makes setup easy. A bright backlight makes the data logger easy to use at night.
- Power Source: The Wind Data Logger operates directly from any DC voltage source between 7 and 30 volts. Power consumption is approximately 20mA, which allows the Wind Data Logger to be powered from the wall, alkaline batteries, or solar power systems. APRS World, LLC can supply a variety of power options including an AC wall adapter or self-contained and power systems.
- Clock: An accurate real-time clock is used to time-stamp each measurement. The clock is battery backed and is accurate to within 10 minutes per year or better.
- Installation: The Wind Data Logger mounts directly to a double gang electrical box for clean installation in a wall or an electrical panel.
- Communications: An RS-232 serial port is a feature of every Wind Data Logger. This port allows communication with computers and other communication equipment. APRS World has free PC software that can display and log data directly to your computer or our Internet site. Short range wireless links are available now and GSM cell modems will be available soon.